To buy or not to buy?

Friday 30 January 2015

Justin Chung

If I had a dedicated work space at home I'd like it to look something like this picture perfect set up à la Justin Chung.  Simple and uncluttered with a black and white colour palette and THAT chair.  Things don't change much around here … see chair, find chair, buy chair.  I narrow down potential candidates based on cost until I find something in the 'cheap as chips' department.  No mean feat when the starting point for one's search contains words like 'Danish' and 'rosewood' but then I like a good challenge.

Unable to find anything by Niels Møller with those arms - let's just take a few moments to admire those arms please - I tried the sans arms approach.  Nothing.  But then a pair of 're-upholstered' chairs by Arne Hovmand-Olsen popped up.  Nothing wrong with 're-upholstered' per se, but beige linen with rasperberry-coloured velvety stripes just doesn't cut the mustard when it's an original woven seat I was after.

Not. To. Worry.  Buy chairs, remove offending upholstery, get weaving.  Sounds like a plan, except I'm no weaver.  But then Modern Chair Restoration.  Ever since reading this post on how to tackle a CH23 chair by Hans Wegner I've wanted to give this weaving thing a go.  I mean, how hard can it be?  Hard.  Do I have the time to start another restoration project?  No.  To buy or not to buy?  Buy.  When will I learn?  Never.

4 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly with your decision to buy, and I want a play-by-play on the weaving project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's up to you. learn or not?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to find an upholstered chair and put in weaving instead. I always like to find bargain pieces and transform them into what I need. Please include a weaving tutorial when you find one!

    ReplyDelete

 

chairsmith All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger